Want a delicious soup for Onam festival? Then try this mouthwatering tomato rasam recipe made from jaggery, tomatoes and tamarind. This will surely complete your Onasadya feast. Here’s the easy and simple way of cooking Tomato Rasam. Let’s get cooking!
- 4 cups of dal stock (water where you boil dal)
- 2 pieces of red chillies
- 2 pieces of fresh tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 1 ½ teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 2 cloves of grated garlic
- 1 small sized jaggery (use sugar as alternative)
- 9 pieces of peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon of oil or ghee
- ½ teaspoon of Sambhar masala
- 1 small tamarind
- 2 pinches of cinnamon powder
- 2 pinches of Hing
- Some curry, mint and coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
How to cook Tomato Rasam
1. Make a stock of dal by boiling the daal in a pressure cooker. Set the stock aside.
2. In a pan, heat the oil and fry the mustard seeds, hing, cumin seeds, chillie and curry leaves. Wait til the mustard seeds splutter.
3. Then, add tomatoes, ginger, garlic and green chilies.
4. Put some chili and turmeric power, salt and water on the mixture. Simmer for about 5 to 6 minutes.
5. Stir in the cooked dal and 1 1/12 cup of water. Let it boil.
6. Garnish with coriander leaves.
7. Serve hot.