Onam festival is known for its glorious and mouthwatering onasadya or onam feast. The festival of onam in a household is never complete without a yummy onam dish or recipe. So here, we are going to share an easy way to cook a delicious treat – the Sambar. This dish is known to be a significant item for every onam sadhya menu.
- ¼ teaspoon of Methi
- 3 pieces of green and red chilies
- 2 cups of Sambar or (Tuvar) Dal
- ½ teaspoon of Turmeric
- Vegetables (green pepper, okra, eggplant, drumstick)
- ¼ teaspoon tamarind paste
- 2 teaspoon of Mustard
- Some curry leaves
- A pinch of Hing or Asafetida
- Cooking oil
How to cook Sambar
1. Wash and cut all vegetable ingredients into small cubes.
2. Cook the dal in boiling water. Season with salt and turmeric.
3. Separate the dal from water. Set both aside.
4. Cook the vegetables using the water where you cook the dal. Once the vegetables are cooked, add some tamarind paste.
5. Then, stir in the thuvar dal and simmer for a few minutes.
6. In a pan, heat some oil, fry mustard seed. Add the green and red chillies, methi, hing and curry leaves. Add the sambar powder. Let it cooked for a few minutes.
7. Combine the tadka and sambar.
8. Garnish with coriander.