Onasadya or onam feast completes the celebration of Onam festival. In this coming festival of onam, let’s make it more special with this simple but mouthwatering onam recipe – the rice puttu. You can include this meal as one of the onam sadya items or onam dishes. In preparing this dish, you need a specialized cooking tool called “puttukutty”. So let’s get cooking!
- 2 cups of raw rice (or ready made puttupodi)
- 1 cup of coconut (grated)
How to Cook Rice Puttu
1. Soak the rice in water for about 4 hours. Drain and grind into powder (Not so fine).
2. Get the powder roasted for about 5 minutes. Stir well and let it cook after it’s done.
Note: Now ready made Puttu podi (puttu powde) is available at market. Leading brands like eastern, Pavizham, saras puttu podi is available everywhere)
3. Make a mixture of salt and water and sprinkle it to the powdered rice. It will make the rice wet.
4. Put some grated coconut on the puttukutty, then the rice powder then another grated coconut. Repeat this procedure til the puttukutty is filled.
5. Close the lid and cook it for about 2 minutes.
6. Serve with ghee or potato curry.